Friday, October 28, 2011

Expectations vs. Goals

Have you ever noticed how easy it is to get disappointed when our “Expectations” are not realized? Several years ago I worked in a sales profession where we were required to set “Goals” every year. These goals had to be both realistic and huge enough to make us work harder than we would otherwise. I can assure you, in that profession, I never reached all my goals. But, they gave me something to strive for and helped me to make more money.

In thinking about the difference between Expectations and Goals, it occurs to me that the greatest difference is in the ‘after-effects.’ When our Expectations are not met, the result is usually anger, disappointment, sadness, and/or disruption in our closest and most meaningful relationships. Whether I am doing something in my profession, participating in some kind of recreational activity or watching my favorite team play a game, my frame of mind and my disposition are greatly affected by whether or not my Expectations are realized.

Goals are usually determined after some intentional thought and planning. Expectations however, usually result from my SELFISH-Ambitions. When I am disappointed in another person it is probably because they didn’t “perform” according to my standards. Or if my team loses then I am affected negatively. My day-to-day life or my identity is not affected at all but it still has a negative or positive impact on the way I “feel.”

Could it be possible that Expectations are cleverly disguised “Self-Will” indicators while Goals are carefully crafted plans to create positive, powerful change in our lives? (and in the lives of others!) I am certainly not suggesting that we can ever live without Expectations. I think they are so deeply ensconced within us that we cannot escape their influence. However, I do believe, with a little discipline and planning, we can be more influenced by Positive Goals than by Unrealized Expectations. In a way, Goals are designed to be like the ‘proverbial carrot’ that are always out in front enticing us to go further, work harder, and not give up.

Do you have some well-defined, updated Goals for your Life? Are you negatively affected when your Expectations are not realized? I encourage you to take some time to honestly and accurately assess your current status in life; then determine where you are in light of where you would like to be. Make some long-term and short-term GOALS for yourself – do this for your personal life, your professional like, your family, etc. I hope you will uncover an exciting YOU that may be hidden behind some unrealized Expectations!

No comments: